Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Easy, cheap and GREEN project

If you live in the south like me, warm weather has officially arrived!  Something I love about warm weather is all the pretty flowers that you see everywhere!  After a bare winter, it's always nice to see all kinds of color and greenery blooming all around you. 
Although I love flowers and plants, I'm actually a known plant killer.  Every plant I've ever tried to keep at home dies.....it's really pretty sad.  We've spent loads of money in the past on different plants/bushes/flowers.....all of which died shortly thereafter.  Sigh.  Needless to say, since we moved into our new house, we haven't even attempted to do any kind of landscaping.  Maybe one day, but as of right now, we don't trust ourselves.
Because we are so terrible at keeping plants, but I still love them so much, I wanted to do something really cheap this year...you know, in case I screwed it up.  You can really end up spending so much money just getting pots and flowers and all that to put on your porch....and I just really didn't want to do that this year....when it is very likely I'll kill them.  Instead, I tried to come up with an inexpensive "greener" approach. 
I collected various sized aluminum cans, peeled the labels off and cleaned them up really good.  Then, I just picked out some springy spray paint colors and painted the cans.  We poked a few holes in the bottom of the cans for drainage and BAM---I had my very own cheap, repurposed planters.  I thought it would be fun for Bryson to plant some seeds in them so he could watch his flowers grow (you know....before we kill them).

They are not the most glamorous planters in the world, but they serve their purpose well and for the price...you can't beat them!  You could paint them all sorts of colors or designs or what have you.  The possibilities are endless! I have some large cans that I'm going to make into some hanging planters as soon as I get something to plant in them.  Hopefully I'll be able to finish that project up soon!

I don't know about you, but something about turning trash into treasure really excites me!

1 comment: